Through the lens of a Claims Evidence Reasoning (CER) approach, we will explore global landforms and their tectonic settings. Join us as we track the formation of the Hawaiian Islands and the layers of the Grand Canyon using authentic data sets and Google Earth/Maps technology. All activities will discuss cross-disicplinary interactions, literacy concepts and connections to PA state standards. Maps and materials from all exercises will be provided electronically to teachers to bring back to their classrooms.
The paradigm of plate tectonics is central to understanding the dynamic nature of our earth and explaining its observable features (volcanoes, earthquakes and mountains). This workshop is designed to develop both practical and conceptual knowledge of plate tectonics as well as to promote innovative approaches to teaching earth science. Participants will engage with a suite of guided and inquiry-based classroom activities to help move students' understanding of earth's observable features from the descriptive to the interpretive. Participants will work to develop a shared sense of how these features and the processes that create them are related to one another through plate tectonics.
Prior to the workshop, participants will complete a common non-technical read, participate in an online discussion, and view key videos as needed to develop a common foundational content background. Participants will bring samples of current curricular materials and student work to share, discuss and revise. All curricular materials and exercises used during the workshop will be provided for participants. We strongly encourage teams of teachers from the same school or district to apply. This can include both horizontal (within a grade level) or vertical (across grade levels) teams across. Participants will be required to attend three follow-up meetings during the academic year - The Pennsylvania Earth Science Teachers Association (PAESTA) conference at Penn State Brandywine, and two additional meetings in their region/district.
- Plate Tectonic Videos - from Annenberg Media
- Instructions for viewing Earth Revealed videos and a list of questions to answer
- Submit responses for Video Six - Plate Dynamics
- Submit responses for Video Seven - Mountain Building
- Submit responses for Video Eight - Earth's Structures
- Submit responses for Video Seventeen - Sedimentary Rocks
- Submit responses for Video Twenty - Running Water II: Landscape Evolution (optional)
- Dirt: The Erosion of Civilization instructions and questions to answer
- Submit responses for Dirt: The Erosion of Civilization